Children’s Christian Education Director
SALARIED POSITION This is a part-time position requiring a minimum of 25 hours a week. Hours will include being on campus before, during and after the children’s Sunday School, plus ideally attendance in one worship service.
POSITION SUMMARY Responsible for administration, supervision and leadership of the local church programs and ministries related to the Children’s Christian Education. They are to oversee and build the ministry in partnership with the Youth and Family Life Director. This position is responsible for the selection and execution of curriculum and programming designed for birth through 5th grade.
1. Responsible for Children’s education programs with recruiting, training and utilization of laity, clergy and staff to the best interest of the overall Children’s ministry.
2. Oversee and coordinate the ordering of age appropriate curriculum, class and event supplies which address the needs and safety of each age group. Including children’s worship notebooks.
3. Recruit and train a roster of Sunday School educators and related ministry volunteers.
4. Provide curriculum orientation before new Sunday School sessions begin.
5. Supervise and work with the Nursery Ministry.
6. Develop and maintain systems to record individual Sunday School attendance, weekly follow-up on absentees, and follow-up to develop connections with the Vacation Bible School and Fiesta Bible Camp children. Share any pastoral needs accordingly.
7. Chair and recruit for the Children’s Ministry Team to meet monthly (or as needed) and liaison with the Youth and Family Life Director a seamless spiritual experience for all ages.
8. Coordinate and administrate all timelines and aspects of Children’s Ministry Events. (See attached.)
9. Develop a one-time outreach to nurture the family with a new baby from the Pre-School, the Kids Day Out or from the congregation.
10.Oversee and plan in advance the use of the ministry’s budget with major expenditures going through the Finance Staff Member and Governance Board if required.
11.Prepare a Children’s Christian Education budget annually.
12.Serve as a staff representative to the weekday Pre-School and Kids Day Out monthly Board of Directors meeting.
13.Attend weekly staff meetings as they are scheduled.
14.Oversee, recruit and train coordinators and staff for Vacation Bible School. Commented
15.Communicate effectively all information concerning Children’s Education Ministries through bulletin boards, posters, post cards, newsletter, fliers, social media, and the Communications Ministry Team.
16.Abide by, enforce, and provide the certification information for Safe Gatherings training for everyone who will serve in your ministry area. This includes VBS volunteers. Also follow all aspects of the equivalent to Safe Sanctuary policies. Require food handler certification (online process) for those who administer food, and all related policies of the church as the minimum standard.
17.Perform annual review of the Nursery Coordinator with measurable goals for accountability. Obtain her review of her employees.
18.Establish a policy and procedure for classroom management issues which may arise.
19.Provide a ministry atmosphere of invitation and appreciation within and outside of the congregation.
20.Provides the physical, education and spiritual resources needed for children's education ministries to be accomplished faithfully and in good order by the laity. Church staff are not compensated to perform duties of the ministries for the congregation.
21.In the spirit of ministry teamwork, other duties as required by the position.
REPORTS TO: 1. Senior Pastor
- Children’s Church for 11 am Worship or Equivalent
- Promotion Sunday and Kick Off Sunday School Sunday
- Bibles to Third Graders in September/October
- Teacher Appreciation
- Provide Children’s Messages in 11 am worship as coordinated with the pastor
- Oversee coordinator of Mom’s Night Out – Monthly on 4th or 5th Friday
- Develop a Music Opportunity – ie. Children’s Choir
- Reintroduce, train and coordinate an Acolyte Ministry
- Administrate the Rose Garden Elementary School Food Backpack Program
- Liaison with laity leadership and Communities in Schools Coordinator for the Rose Garden Elementary School Food Backpack Program
- Co-Program with the team for Operation Summer Backpack
- Assist Rose Garden Elementary in recruiting UCUMC members for their Mentor’s Program.
- Easter Egg Hunt
- Fiesta Bible Camp (on campus) and led by the Border Ministry
- Involve Children in a Christmas Related Program (Pageant) Event
- A Family Christmas Party: Coordinated with the Parents of Little People Organization (POLO)
- Vacation Bible School
- A Summer Weekday Children Option(s)
- A committed Christian active in a Protestant denomination.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university which is relatable to this position.
- Prior experience in Christian Education and curriculum fluency, children’s ministry or a related field.
- Experience in elementary education or early childhood development.
- Godly Play Certification or experience a plus.
- Proven interpersonal skills with solid organizational and computer skills.
- A strong ability to recruit, communicate effectively, team build, and delegate with grace to a broad range of people.
- Ability to envision, communicate and implement program events, their tasks and timelines to fruition.
Please send a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com